How do you get attention and play with listeners in social media? You don’t just post all that national stuff, right?
1. Write a headline that you would care about and want to learn more about right now. If you’re not interested, surely they won’t be. Learn the art of creating exciting headlines that lead to action.
2. Be brief and “twist” your content – even national content – toward your shows and your station. That’s just creating tune-in and you can do it.
3. Think about the kind of photos you use in social media. Photos should also lead people to click. Why does a photo make you go to its source? Consider that trolling through Facebook or looking at Twitter (for instance) is an activity. Your job is to make them want to leave that stream to find out more about your story.
4. It’s more than clicking away from the “stream.” If you want to stay in radio, you want to make them come from social media to your product. Always be thinking about how you accomplish this in all your content.
5. Video. Please. We can do video around the station, backstage at a concert, looking at concert tickets that have arrived, at a music meeting, content meeting, morning show meeting, station event, production room, in the van, and a million other ways with listeners, with experiences, or simply making it up or going about your regular j-o-b in radio.
6. Be interactive. Find ways to ask opinion. Think about ways you can allow people to comment, share, talk about you, your product, your content.
Always, always, always be about them, their interest; make yourself local and have fun. Go out there and get them! They love listening if you care enough to make it the best local opportunity to do so.
Loyd Ford is the digital revenue, direct marketing, ratings and social media strategist for Rainmaker Pathway and Americalist Direct Marketing. Loyd has programmed very successful radio brands in markets of all sizes, including KRMD AM & FM in Shreveport, and WSSL and WMYI in Greenville, WKKT in Charlotte and WBEE in Rochester, NY. Learn more about Loyd here: https://about.me/loydford. Get his radio-social media content sent directly to your smart phone or email for free here: www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com. Reach out to Loyd via e-mail HERE. Visit his Facebook radio social media page HERE