WTOP/Washington, DC, took home 14 Chesapeake Associated Press Broadcasters Association Awards over the weekend, including Outstanding News Operation and Best Website for WTOP.com. The awards were presented on Saturday at the annual Chesapeake Associated Press Broadcasters Association Awards Banquet in Ocean City, Maryland.
“These awards are a testament to the collaborative and dedicated team we have here at WTOP,” said Mike McMearty, WTOP’s Director of News and Programming. “We are always evolving, whether that means adding an extra multimedia element or approaching our reporting in innovative new ways.”
The complete list of Hubbard Radio DC’s 2018 CAPBA honors includes:
· Outstanding Coverage of a Continuing Story – WTOP-FM “Government Shutdown”
· Use of Sound – “Power of Music” – Rachel Nania
· Best Podcast-Audio: Michelle Basch, WTOP-FM, Washington, DC, “Going Under: The Story of Tangier Island”
· Outstanding Public affairs – Rachel Nania “Dangers of Childbirth”
· Outstanding sports feature – Noah Frank and Dick Uliano “Tackling Concussions”
· Outstanding future or human interest story – JJ Green “Spookstock”
· Multimedia/Online journalism – Colleen Kelleher “Beach Real Estate Guide”
· Best Reporter – Nick Iannelli
· Outstanding Year-Round Local Sports: WTOP-FM, Washington, DC
· Outstanding Website: WTOP-FM, Washington, DC
· Outstanding Newscast – WTOP-FM, Washington DC
· Outstanding Digital Feature Project: Jack Moore, WTOP-FM, Washington, DC, “DC Uprising”
· Outstanding News Operation – WTOP-FM, Washington DC.