Seton Hall University — home of renowned station WSOU 89.5 FM — has had five students earn seven awards from the Garden State Journalist Association’s 72nd Annual Memorial Journalism Awards competition for their on-air work. The students placed in multiple categories, with senior Matt Ambrose taking first place in the Broadcast – Radio Sports category.
The winners from WSOU are:
· Dalton Allison: 2nd Place, Broadcast – Radio Sports Feature, “Lindsay Berra Story.”
· Matt Ambrose: 1st Place, Broadcast – Radio Sports, “Seton Hall Men’s Basketball Team Defeats Kentucky in OT.”
· Jose Feliciano: 3rd Place, Broadcast – Radio Sports, “Seton Hall vs Louisville Men’s Basketball Play-by-Play.”
· Faith Kessler: 2nd Place Broadcast – Radio General News, “WSOU Newscast 12/13/18.”
· Bob Towey: 2nd Place, Broadcast – Radio Feature, “Mental Health Awareness.”
· Bob Towey: 3rd Place, Broadcast – Radio General News “WSOU Newscast 5/31/18.”
· Bob Towey: 3rd Place, Broadcast – Sports Feature, “Comeback Season.”
“Bob, Dalton, Faith, Jose, and Matt’s achievements are particularly impressive because they were competing not only against other noncommercial broadcasters, but commercial broadcasters as well,” said Mark Maben, GM of WSOU. “These honors speak to the emphasis WSOU places on pre-professional development and serving the communities we cover. Our students continue to show that they can produce work equal to that of professional journalists, newscasters, and sportscasters.”
The winners of the Garden State Journalists Association awards will be recognized at an event in Newark, NJ, on May 22.