(By Buzz Knight) The economy isn’t booming for everyone. Layoffs are tough to take but there’s plenty you can do to stay on track and get back into the industry you love. Here are some tips for air talent on the hunt for work, and a few ideas for once you’re back on the “inside” again.
1. Be the talent that always looks for ways to improve the entire internal operation. Don’t think one-dimensionally about what might be expected of you. Think about your impact on every channel of distribution. Understand digital metrics and devise your game plan to grow your reach.
2. Be the talent that drives multiple relationships in the building. Don’t just care about your own performance, care about the whole station. Care about the sales process deeply.
Understand what sales is dealing with every day. Actively offer your collaboration to bring in the sale!
3. Be the talent that is not only seeking continuous improvement but that is also openly curious and always trying to grow and learn. Be a sponge. Be passionate for the success of the entire team and entire company!
4. Be the talent that uses the power of their social voice to market yourself. Understand how to amplify your voice as its own marketing tool.
5. Be the talent that can demonstrate leadership inside the building during good times as well as bad…no matter what the circumstances.
Buzz Knight is the CEO of Buzz Knight Media and can be reached by e-mail at [email protected]