With all the politics and violence that is occupying social media, don’t you think people are looking for fun and entertainment? Of course they are!
How will you respond? By taking advantage of this opportunity. You’re in radio!
- Look for fun ways to include visual, and especially video, of the inside workings of radio as it relates to listeners. Make it interesting. Don’t make it just something about you. Look for entertaining ideas that are engaging and will get attention.
- Go out and involve listeners and bring the fun of radio with you. Most people don’t see radio in person; change this. Bring radio to people, video it and make it fun (no matter if this is in the morning show or a midday at-work visit).
- Develop games for online or specific social media that result in bringing listeners back to your broadcast brand. Who says you can’t do that? It’s only creativity. You work in creativity.
- Make a video bit out of requests or some other listener interaction and share the fun on social media. When listeners see and hear you having fun with other listeners, it will make them feel like they are missing things they shouldn’t…and it will change listening patterns. Make it fun.
- As always, try to calculate ahead of time a percentage of each type of content, by day and week, so you have a variety of different things for listeners and potential listeners to see all the time.
With so many negatives dominating social media, you can choose to look at this as a positive opportunity for your radio station, your morning show, your midday, or your afternoon show. Get going and make it happen! This is radio!
Loyd Ford is the digital revenue, direct marketing, ratings and social media strategist for Rainmaker Pathway and Americalist Direct Marketing. Loyd has programmed very successful radio brands in markets of all sizes, including KRMD AM & FM in Shreveport, and WSSL and WMYI in Greenville, WKKT in Charlotte and WBEE in Rochester, NY. Learn more about Loyd here: http://about.me/loydford. Get his radio-social media content sent directly to your smart phone or email for free here: www.rainmakerpathway.wordpress.com.